Buying or selling a home is the biggest transaction most people will make in their lifetime. But according to the National Association of Realtors in 2017, 72% of sellers only contacted one realtor before finding a listing agent.
Seems pretty strange, doesn’t it?
There are thousands of real estate professionals out there and chances are, you may already know one. And because you’ll be spending a lot of time with your agent, it’s important to test their compatibility with your needs and goals.
Just like hiring a babysitter, it’s wise to interview several candidates before reaching a decision. The ideal real estate agent is an experienced professional who knows your market inside out, addresses your questions and concerns in a timely manner. And most importantly, acts as your teammate throughout the entire buying and selling process.
Some homeowners think that just because they’re only spending a few weeks with this person, that it doesn’t really matter. But, when you think about it — you’re bringing a stranger into your life and finances. Because they’re playing a huge role in your livelihood, it’s crucial that you take the time to vet their knowledge and experience.
To help you in your search for the best agent, we’ve put together a comprehensive list of 30 questions to ask when working with a realtor in Norman.
- Can I see your real estate license?
- How many years of education and experience do you have?
- Do you work full-time or part-time as a real estate agent?
- How long has your realty been in business?
- Are you a mortgage broker as well?
- Will you handle all aspects of my transaction or will you delegate some tasks to an associate?
- What percentage of your clients are buyers versus sellers?
- How many buyers are you representing right now?
- How many sellers are you representing right now?
- Do you represent buyers and sellers on the same house?
- What is your average list-to-price ratio?
- What is your average length of listings on market?
- In which neighborhoods do you primarily work?
- How many homes have you closed in the neighborhood(s) I’m considering?
- Have you sold homes in this price range?
- What are three things that separate you from your competitors?
- How much do you charge?
- How do your realtor fees work?
- Has a client ever filed a complaint against you? If so, what went wrong?
- What kind of guarantee do you offer?
- Can you provide references from past clients?
- What services do you offer beyond negotiations and escrow?
- May I review documents beforehand that I’ll be asked to sign?
- What’s the best way to contact you?
- What type of communication should I expect from you, and how often?
- What is the best marketing strategy for my needs?
- What can I do to get this house ready for showings?
- What are the closing costs?
- What haven’t I asked that I need to know?
- What questions do you have for me?
Navigating the home buying or selling process requires good communication between you and your agent, so you’ll want to choose a realtor who’ll stay in touch and check-in with you on a weekly to biweekly basis. Because the housing market moves at a quick pace, you want to ensure you’re not missing out on key opportunities.
There are plenty of realtors out there willing to work hard for you, so keep these questions close as you shop around. A good agent versus a great one can mean the difference of added months on the market or thousands of dollars gained in a sale.
If you’re considering buying or selling your home, our team at Rieger Realty has an in-depth knowledge of the Norman area and experience dating decades back. To discuss your situation and explore your next steps, reach out to us today at (405) 310-2796. Our mission is to put you in the home of your dreams.